Monday, April 2, 2018

Movies I Watched in March

 

This month I checked off a couple of must-see Classics, revisited some favorites, and watched a few more Robert Ryan movies ;)

Speaking of Ryan, I'd like to apologize to the people waiting for Part 2 of my Robert Ryan post. It will be coming shortly. I've decided to also do a Part 3 AFTER I've seen some of his post-1958 films, since as of now I've only seen him in The Longest Day and don't even remember his part in that.

* means a rewatch
  1. The Pilgrim (1923) - Charlie Chaplin
  2. This Modern Age (1931) - Joan Crawford
  3. Daughter of the Dragon (1931) - Anna May Wong
  4. Haunted Gold (1932) - John Wayne
  5. Zou Zou (1934 - French) - Josephine Baker, Jean Gabin 
  6. The Count of Monte Cristo (1934) - Robert Donat
  7. Naughty Marietta (1935) - Jeanette MacDonald & Nelson Eddy, Frank Morgan, Elsa Lanchester
  8. I Live My Life (1935) - Joan Crawford & Brian Aherne, Frank Morgan
  9. Shall We Dance (1937) - Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers, Edward Everett Horton
  10. Stablemates (1938) - Mickey Rooney, Wallace Beery, Margaret Hamilton
  11. Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939) - Robert Donat & Greer Garson
  12. On Your Toes (1939) - Eddie Albert, Zorina, Alan Hale
  13. Seven Sinners (1940) - Marlene Dietrich & John Wayne
  14. The Fighting 69th (1940) - James Cagney, Pat O’Brien, George Brent, Alan Hale, Frank McHugh, Dennis Morgan
  15. Unexpected Uncle (1941) - Charles Coburn, Anne Shirley & James Craig
  16. Trail Street (1947) - Randolph Scott, Robert Ryan, Anne Jeffreys, George 'Gabby' Hayes, Madge Meredith
  17. Return of the Bad Men (1948) - Randolph Scott, Robert Ryan, Anne Jeffreys, George 'Gabby' Hayes, Jacqueline White
  18. Winter Meeting (1948) - Bette Davis
  19. Caught (1949) - Robert Ryan, Barbara Bel Geddes, James Mason
  20. The Set-Up (1949) - Robert Ryan & Audrey Totter
  21. The Crooked Way (1949) - John Payne & Ellen Drew
  22. Conspirator (1949) - Robert Taylor & Elizabeth Taylor 
  23. The Secret Garden (1949) - Margaret O’Brien, Herbert Marshall, Dean Stockwell
  24. The Sword and the Rose (1953-Disney) - Richard Todd & Glynis Johns
  25. From Here to Eternity (1953) - Montgomery Clift & Donna Reed, Burt Lancaster & Deborah Kerr, Frank Sinatra
  26. The Girl Who Had Everything (1953) - Elizabeth Taylor & Fernando Lamas, William Powell, Gig Young
  27. Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) - Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan, Walter Brennan, Ernest Borgnine, Lee Marvin
  28. *Tammy and the Bachelor (1957) - Debbie Reynolds & Leslie Nielsen, Walter Brennan, Mildred Natwick, Fay Wray
  29. *Gidget (1959) - Sandra Dee & James Darren, Cliff Robertson 
  30. The Sundowners (1960) - Robert Mitchum & Deborah Kerr, Peter Ustinov, Glynis Johns
  31. In the Line of Fire (1993) - Clint Eastwood, John Malkovich
  32. *Apollo 13 (1995) - Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, Ed Harris, Gary Sinise, Kathleen Quinlan
  33. Life (1999) - Eddie Murphy & Martin Lawrence (brother’s choice)
Least Favorite: Haunted Gold was sometimes laughingly bad, sometimes cringe-worthy (why are African American's always depicted as superstitious and terrified of ghosts? Sometimes it's funny - Willie Best comes to mind - but this was ridiculously overdone). It was only 59 minutes though. If The Girl Who Had Everything hadn't of had William Powell in it, I wouldn't have watched it. I've been waiting for TCM to show it again for four years though so I can finally check it off my list of Powell movies watched!

Favorite Movies: Goodbye, Mr. Chips gave me a serious lump in my throat for most of the second half. Such a sweet movie. I also really enjoyed I Live My Life and The Count of Monte Cristo (the 2002 version is one of my favorite movies)

No comments:

Post a Comment